I figured the holidays would be a great time to write this post since everyone (ie. your potential client) is out spending money on presents- instead of design work. So what do we freelancers do all day while our potential clients are out living their lives? I personally take it as an opportunity to spruce things up and get my business ready for the new year.
Instead of binging on Netflix everyday waiting for your next client to waltz through the door- ask yourself a few questions:
- What can I do to improve my workflow when I land my next client?
- Have I reached out to past clients in a while?
- Is my portfolio in tip-top shape? (I’m currently working on this one on my design site- it needs some work!)
- Do all of my links and contact forms work on my website?
- Have I reached out to fellow designers lately?
- Have I been networking, building relationships, & blogging? (those relationships may turn into clients in the new year!)
- Have I reached out to fellow designers who may be taking the holiday off?
If you answered yes to all of these questions, then congratulations! You can return to your Netflix binge! I, unfortunately have to get back to work. In fact, I think I need to do a little bit of everything on this list. I’m thankful for the time off from client work so that I can get a head start before the new year. If you’re in the same boat as me, and need to deck the halls of your freelance biz, I’ve created a little space for us to chat and hold each other accountable here at The Blog Loft!
It can be really overwhelming during the slow times. You realize how much work you have to catch up on, and don’t know where to begin. My advice? Make a to-do list and start with the simplest thing, then work your way up to the more complicated things. And of course, join The Blog Loft, and find your accountability partner here!
Not a Blog Loft member yet? What are you waiting for? It’s free!
Already a member? Sign in now, and find your accountability partner!